Floating Angel Paradise

Sunday, October 16, 2005

THE GREEN MILE



For those of you who have ever seen the movie, or read the book, The Green Mile, you will know what a sad story and concept of life it is. For those of you who have unfortunately not seen nor read the story, here is a quick run down.

The story is from Boss Paul Edgecombe's point of view, a sad story about the miracle he saw during his job on the E Block, otherwise known as the Green Mile, the place where all those sentenced to death by electric chair are placed. Throughout the book, told as though Boss Edgecombe really was indeed writing from his nursing home at the age of 104, the miracles of the Negro John Coffey, like the drink only spelt differently, are thoroughly discussed, and the pain and hurt which continually ravages this world is truly discovered. How hard it must have been to have to kill someone, someone who is truly God's gift to the world, who can heal the sick and them near death, and who is definitely innocent and wrongly convicted.

"He kill them with they love. They love for each other. You see how it was? That's how it is every day, all over the worl'. That darkness and pain, that doesn't go away."

Anyone who has thinks they have the guts to see a movie, or read a book with so much gore, blood and open frankness, and a deep and meaningful concept, not to mention spellbinding and openly confronting of your beliefs towards religion, justice and humanity, then you should really try to read The Green Mile, by Stephen King.

And to end this rather depressing blog, I have picked yet another quote from the Green Mile. This part of the story is when John Coffey, sounds like the drink only spelt different, is telling Boss Edgecombe in his intelligent, yet not educated Southern drawl not to worry, that he will be glad not to be living for too much longer.

"I know you been worryin, but you ought to quit on it now. Because I want to go, boss. I'm rightly tired of the pain I hear and feel, boss. I'm tired of bein on the road, lonely as a robin in the rain. Not never havin no buddy to go on with or tell me where we's comin from or goin to or why. I'm tired of people bein ugly to each other. It feels like pieces of glass in my head. I'm tired of all the times I've wanted to help and couldn't. I'm tired of bein in the dark. Mostly it's the pain. There's too much. If I could end it, I would. But I can't.

Until next time. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home